Faculty of Philosophy and Social sciences
Dean of Faculty Viktor Vakhshtayn, PhD, MA in Sociology, Head of the Department of Theoretical Sociology and Epistemology at RANEPA SPP, Dean of the Social Sciences Faculty at MSSES, Editor in Chief of the “Sociology of Power” journal.
About the Faculty of Philosophy and Social Sciences
The Faculty of Philosophy and Social Sciences at RANEPA SPP was opened in 2011.
Its educational system combines best practices from the British and Russian models.
Many of the academic staff have both Russian and foreign academic degrees. They are experienced in research, have scientific publications in prestigious Russian and international professional journals.
Students take an active part in the scientific activities at the faculty and elsewhere: they present at symposiums and academic workshops and participate in projects of the Center for Sociological Research and faculty’s partners.
The faculty frequently invites guest speakers. Furthermore, it runs a case-study club and a critical-reading group.
There are bachelor-degree, master-degree, and postgraduate (PhD-level) courses at the faculty, delivering nine educational programmes in philosophy and the social sciences. The faculty publishes the “Sociology of Power” journal.
Active research work is carried out at the faculty. Beginning from 2012, the Eurobarometer survey has been conducted in Russia.
Structure of the Faculty
- Department of Theoretical Sociology and Epistemology
- Department of Management Sociology
- Department of Philosophy
- Center for Sociological Research
- Editorial Board of the “Sociology of Power” journal
Bachelor degree courses:
- Sociological Research Techniques
- Contemporary Social Theory (in collaboration with MSSES and the University of Manchester, UK)
Master degree courses
- Fundamental Sociology (in collaboration with MSSES and the University of Manchester, UK)
- Political Sociology and Political Research (in collaboration with MSSES and the University of Manchester, UK)